Imagine you have created a blog site with plenty of images and files. It is very easy for others to link to your images and display them on their websites and blogs inside <IMG> tag. This kind of stealing will incur huge bandwidth loss without your knowledge. You can easily prevent this for happening by making use of Hotlink Protection feature included with cPanel.
With the help of Hotlink protection, you will be able to prevent other websites from linking to your files you specified.
(1) Login to cPanel
(2) Select HotLink Protection option located under Security panel
(3) By default, Hotlink Protection is disabled. You have to activate it by selecting Enable button
(4) You will view a new page with the file extensions for which you requested protection
(5) You have to provide list of URLs inside URLs to allow access: box which enables other users to access them.
(6) You have to provide a list of extensions separated by commas inside Block direct access for these extensions textbox.
You will be able to protect your files especially images using the above mentioned technique of Hotlink protection.