Once your ocPortal Community based site gets to a certain size you might want to improve how your members list is displayed. The standard listing utilizes a list style with Username, Primary usergroup, number of posts and join date listed which can be sorted by which ever data type you prefer. You can see an example of this on the right.
You can install an addon called Member Directory boxes which will change the listing to include the Users avatar too. The most useful element of this addon is the ability to filter the results by Username, Interests which are added to the user’s profile, Location, Occupation or by elements written in the users ‘about me’ section. An example of this can be seen in the image below
Installing the Member Directory Boxes addon in ocPortal
- Log in to your adminzone
- Navigate to the structure and then addons section of the Adminzone
- Scroll down to and click import non bundled addons
- On the next screen select the download check box an expand the Graphical addons section of the tree
- Select Member Directory Boxes and click the Import Non-Bundled addons button
- The next screen will show you which files will be update as the addon is installed. It is important you check this list carefully if you have changed any templates on your site or any of the other coding. There should only be around 5 or 6 files for this addon
- Once you are happy click proceed which is found in the bottom right
The addon should now be installed and you can go to your members list which will look something like the image to the right. The example image doesn’t display the avatars correctly as it is taken from a test site and not a live site which has the avatars installed on it.
Changing the layout of the member boxes
Once the addon is installed and you are happy it is working how you would like it to be, you may want to add extra information to the member cards. To change this you will need to edit the templates file which can be found in the templates _custom folder of the default theme or your theme if you’ve already made changes. The template you will need to edit is OCF_MEMBER_BOX.tpl .
However I strongly recommend that unless you have a very good understanding of programming you don’t make changes to the templates as changes here could cause serious issues for your website.