In this article I will give you a step by step guide on how to increase the security of your elgg 1.9 networkOverview
A secure elgg network means your site will be always up and running without issues. It is extremely important to take any measure to protect your elgg network. Spam is the number one issue for sites that don’t use the recommended security tools. We test all security tools and we strongly recommend to use them.
1. Download the community plugin “Security Tools” for elgg 1.9
2. Install the plugin. Read our guide on how to install plugins in elgg.
3. Sign into elgg as an Administrator. Open the Administration Dashboard, and go to menu “Configure -> Plugins“:
4. Find “Security Tools 2.0” in the plugin’s list and activate it:
5. Go to menu “Configure -> Settings -> Security Tools” to set up the plugin:
6. Let’s start by setting the following items to “Yes“:
- Secure upgrade.php
Only Admins or people with the “Upgrade” link will be able to run it.
- Notify user on password change
If password is changed, user will receive an email notification of the action.
- Verify email address change
Upon email address change, the user will get a notification via email of the change.
- Notify user on (un)ban
If the Admin bans or unban a user, he will get a notification of the action.
7. After you’re done configuring the security tools, save your settings. And that’s it! Security of your elgg network has been increased!
This concludes Security Tools for elgg 1.9