Privacy levels are important nowadays. Elgg networks needs to give users this feature because websites are being required to let users control who have access to view their profile and also set who can send private messages to them. For that reason in this article I will explain how to set private profiles in Elgg 1.9
1. Download the plugin Private Profiles for elgg 1.9
This plugin allows to restrict the access to profile pages and to restrict usage of private messages. There are side-wide plugin settings available and optionally users can configure the restrictions on their own (default is to allow users to configure their own preferences).
2. Install the plugin. If you don’t know how to do that, read our guide on how to install plugins in elgg.
3. Log into your elgg network as an Administrator, and open the Administration Dashboard. Go to menu “Configure -> Plugins“. Find “Private Profiles 1.9.5” in the plugin’s list and activate it:
4. Let’s configure private profiles for elgg. Go to menu “Configure -> Settings -> Private Profiles“:
5. Set which users have access to the site and configure messages privacy. Also allow users to change their personal privacy settings:
7. And that’s it! With this plugin you can control privacy within your website.
This concludes Private Profiles for elgg.