Elgg has a search plugin built in. However, it is not actually very good and it is server intensive. It was even replaced by Google Search at the elgg community. In this article I will give you a step by step guide on how to optimize elgg search with google search in elgg 1.8
2. Log into your elgg network as an Admin. Then go to sidebar menu “Configure -> Plugins”:
3. Look for the Google Search plugin and activate it. Please make sure it is at the bottom of the plugins list:
4. Go to Google Custom Search Engine and register your custom site search. Right after registering your site, you will get a code we will need later:
5. Now, go to Menu “Configure -> Settings -> Google Site Search” and paste the code from Google Custom Search Engine:
6. After configuring the plugin, make sure to run upgrade.php If you don’t know how to do that, please read this article.
7. And that’s it! Now your search has been optimized
This concludes How to manage your widgets in elgg 1.8