Applied on: Every hosting account
Most webmasters are willing to list their website in almost every search engine. This is beneficial for the website to get visitor traffic. There are hundreds of similar websites, and this is the search engine optimization technology that gives top ranking to a website in the search result.
Even though there are so many professionals in the search engine optimization business, this is not too difficult for giving a better position to your website. I will give a few tips that if you apply carefully, (especially before submitting your website to a search engine, but it can also be applied later) will get your website good attention by search engines.
- Use Meta Tags: Meta tags and descriptions provide short outlines of the page. Use carefully and provide only related, short tags and description.
- Use Proper File Names: File names (for example using_cell_phone.html) should also relate to the page content.
- Title of the Page: The page title element for your document should be concise and accurate.
- Site Map: Use a descriptive site map containing links to pages on your website. If the site map has more than 100 or so links, break it into separate pages. These help search engines locate all of the content on your site.
- Page Links: Each page at your website should be reachable with a valid and proper descriptive hyper link.
- Robot File: The robot.txt file allows your site to be index by search engines in your own way.
- Links from Other Websites: If links to your website has present on other websites, the chances of a better position in search result are higher.
- Usage of Images: Give proper names and alt tag to images on your website. Provide related titles to each image.
- Avoid Frames: Using frames makes it difficult for search engines to index the page. Whenever possible, try to avoid frames on your website.
- Home Page link: Make sure that each inner/child page has a hyper link to your home page.
- Organize the Site: Organize the website content by topic and divide the site into logical sections, each focusing on a given topic. This allows search engines to better target specific information relevant to keyword searches.
- Prefer Text over Images: Try to use text instead of images to display important names, content or links. Search engines can’t read images.
- Divide a Topic: If your topics are rich in content, divide them into pages. A page that is too lengthy can also be divided into further pages, increasing the search engine catching probability.
- Proof Read: You should go through each sentence of your content. Make sure you used correct spelling with meaningful paragraphs.
- Inner Links: When necessary, give a link of your page that has more details about the topic.
- Aviod Illegal Content: Some search engines may find them and will omit that page.
- Validate HTML: Use tools to validate HTML tags so any problem in your HTML code can be found and corrected.
- Avoid 404 Errors: If a page is no longer necessary, do not just delete it. You may add one eye-catching sentence at the top of the page about expiring that page. Or, you may replace that page with an empty one showing your message and offering an alternate link.
- Session Variables: Try to use techniques so that if your site requires cookies or sessions, a search engine can visit your entire website without using them.
- Discuss your Website: Start discussing your website at online public forums. Give links to related pages on your website when discussing. It is also helpful if you start publishing articles on other website forums and use your website address as your signature.
- Frequent Updates: Try to update your website time to time. If the content or links in your website expire, remove or replace them quickly.
- Avoid Purchasing Links: You may want to pay to websites for having a link to your website. Remember, for increasing ranking, the link should be present at a topic related website. It is not recommended to purchase links from a page with more than 15-20 other off-site links.
- Bookmark Script: Use script on your website and offer visitors to one-click bookmark your website so that the next time, a visitor may visit your website easily, especially if they reached you from another website or search result.
- Avoid Duplication: For consistency, it’s better to have one version of each page to get all of the inbound links and earn all of the points with the search engines.
- Check Website Uptime: If your site is down or frequently down, the search engine may bring your ranking down. So be careful about the place where your site is hosted. If downtime is scheduled, manage your website to return 503 error codes which tell the search engine crawlers that the downtime is temporary. 503 error handling is useful in many other situations as well.
Remember to submit your website to top search engine like MSN, Yahoo, Google and directory dmoz.org.