Several of our Elgg users needed a way to display PDF files and other documents uploaded in their Elgg network. Since there was no tool available for that, I decided to develop a plugin that will let you display those types of documents and more. In this article, I will show you a step by step guide on how to how to embed PDF files and other documents in Elgg 1.8.
1. First, we are going to download a plugin from the Elgg Community called “SW Social Docs for Elgg 1.8” here.
This is a plugin that will let you embed Adobe PDF, MS Word and MS PowerPoint files in your site.
2. After downloading unzip the file inside the folder “mod” and activate the plugin:
(For more info about installing a plugin, refer to this article)
3. Configure the plugin by clicking on “Settings“:
4. On the configuration page, we will select yes to all the options available so that we can display PDF, MS Word and PowerPoint files in your Elgg site:
5. Then save your settings. Now you will be able to see PDF files uploaded to your network!
If you experience problems with this tool, ask here for support. This now concludes how to embed PDF files and other documents in Elgg 1.8
For more info about Elgg hosting solutions, visit Arvixe Elgg Hosting.