A shoutbox is a popular addition to many community websites and is very easy to add as long as you have the chat room addon installed in your ocPortal website. The shoutbox addon is primarily designed to be a side block which means it was originally designed to work best in one of your website side panels.
Of course this doesn’t mean you cannot use it in the main panel as all of ocPortal’s comcode/information blocks can be used anywhere on your site where you choose to display them. When you add your shoutbox it will default to using the general chat chat-room. If you have multiple different chat-rooms on different subjects and different zones on varied subjects you could have a different shoutbox for each subject. To be able to do this you will need to create a new chat room for each subject and also create a new zone for each subject. There are two tutorials for this:
Once you have the chat room which you want to add the shout box to. You can now follow this very simple process to add a shoutbox to your website.
- Navigate to the page where you want the shoutbox to appear.
- Choose the add comcode block wizard.
- Choose Shout Box (Side_shoutbox).
- Choose which chat room you want the shoutbox messages to appear in.
- Choose how many messages you want to appear in the shout box.
- Preview and if you are happy you can click use and the block will be added to your page. An example of the preview is shown below.
- Click ‘save’ on the page to save the page with the shoutbox.
As you can see this is a very easy process and allows you to add an easy way for your site visitors to interact and convey messages without needing to log in to the forum or full chatroom.