Machine key is applied for authentication and security in ASP. You must set the Machine Key for security and to avoid a viewstate validation error in your ASP applications. On previous articles I showed you how to set the machine key and generate it, but in this article I will give a step by step guide on how to set a Generate Machine Key with IIS Manager
1. Connect to your site with IIS Manager 7. If you don´t know how to do that, please read this article.
2. In the site main page, go to menu “ASP.NET -> Machine Key“:
3. In the Machine Key page, select the Validation Method, and for Encryption method leave “Auto“. You can set to generate a key at runtime and also a unique for each application:
4. After changing the values, click on “Generate Keys“:
5. Finally, you will see the keys generated. Click Apply to set the machine key:
6. And that’s it! A machine key has been generated and applied!
This concludes Generate Machine Key with IIS Manager