With the release of Elgg 1.9, Elgg 1.7 is officially not supported nor maintained. The 1.9 series is getting more active development and updates when compared to 1.7 so we do recommend you update.
In this article I will give you a step by step guide on how to do easy Elgg upgrades with Softaculous1. Sign into your cPanel Manager:
2. In the Software/Services menu select “Softaculous” and go to “All Installations“:
3. Look for your elgg network in the “All Installations” list, and click on the “Blue Arrows” to start the upgrade process:
4. In the upgrade page, check the “Create Backup” option and click on “Upgrade“:
5. Wait for the backup and upgrade process to finish. Do not close the web browser:
6. And that’s it! Elgg has been upgraded!
Note: Make sure to deactivate ONLY third party elgg plugins.
This concludes easy Elgg upgrades with Softaculous