In this article I will give you a step by step guide on how to display ‘tips’ or ‘latest news’ in the sidebar of elgg 1.8
1. Download “Did You Know” plugin for elgg 1.8 here
2. Unzip the plugin in the mod folder of your elgg installation. If you don’t know how to do that, please read this article.
3. Log into your Elgg network as an Administrator, click on the Administration link located in the top bar menu to go to the Admin Dashboard:
4. Go to menu “Configure > Plugins” and activate the “Did you know” plugin for elgg 1.8:
5. Go to menu “Configure -> Settings -> Did you know” to set up the tips you want to display. In the plugin’s setting page, you will see 4 text boxes, where you can type the tips. Each tip is separated by two semi colon, so you can add as many tips as you want.
Example: This is a tip;; Another tip;; many many tips;; several tips;;
After setting up the tips, click on save to publish your changes.
6. And that’s it! Tips will be displayed randomly at the sidebar of your elgg network:
This concludes how to display ‘tips’ in elgg 1.8