Elgg is a pretty straightforward social networking engine. It is very easy to build your own network so that anyone can start sharing content. Nevertheless, one of the things that has not been easy is bookmarking. Users like to save content shared by others, and the current bookmark tool does half the job. In this article, I will demonstrate how to improve bookmarking in Elgg.Overview
Bookmarking is something that has been around for several years. But, what is a Bookmark? We can define a bookmark as a Uniform Resource Identifier that is stored for later retrieval in any of various storage formats. In other words, bookmarks are links to pages that we can access later on. In Elgg, you can provide a social bookmarking service which will enable users to add, annotate, edit, and share bookmarks with other users. The Quick Links plugin helps to improve the social bookmarking experience in Elgg by letting you save a web page address with just one click. Also, it provides a more modern and intuitive social bookmarking user interface.
Benefits of Bookmarking
There are several benefits of social bookmarking, and some of them are:
- Helps you drive more users to your network because you will let users showcase their content with others
- Amazing tool for resource building links and page rank
- It lets users quickly access to popular content within your site
- Makes your site more interesting to users
1. Download the QuickLinks Plugin for Elgg. Please choose the release compatible with the version of your Elgg network.
2. Upload & Install the plugin. If you need assistance with the install process, please read this article.
3. Log into your site with the Admin account and open the Administration Dashboard:
4. Go to menu “Configure -> Plugins“:
5. Find the “QuickLinks” plugin and activate it:
6. Upon activation, you can use this new feature. Let’s go back to the site, and find some content. You will see next to the title of each content posted on your Elgg network a small “Star” icon, and if you click on it the content will be added to the “QuickLinks” widget, just like a bookmark:
7. And that’s it! Your Elgg network has now a better bookmarking system!
This Concludes Better Bookmarking for Elgg