Elgg has a notifications page where you can see the activity of your posts or if someone posted a comment or posted a message. It is a neat feature however you have to go to another page every time you want to see a notification. In this article I will give you a step-by-step guide on how to add a better notification feature in Elgg.Overview
Major social networks let you see new notifications using a drop down menu. This is a good feature since it lets you check what’s going on around you without leaving the page you are on. This is extremely necessary if you are typing a new private message but want to see a new notification and you don’t want to leave the page, just see what the notification was about. The Notifier tool will add this feature to your elgg network quickly.
1. Download the Notifier Plugin for elgg
2. Upload the plugin. If you need assistance uploading the plugin to your elgg network, please read this article.
3. Sign into your elgg network as an Administrator. Go to menu “Configure -> Plugins“:
4. Look for the “Notifier” plugin for elgg and activate it:
5. Let’s configure this tool. Go to menu “Configure -> Settings -> Notifier“:
6. Check everything and save your changes:
7. And that’s it! Your site will have an advanced notification system!