Hello everyone in today’s tutorial we are going to discuss how to setup Facebook integration on your Xenforo forum. There are two separate things that must be done for this. First you must create a Facebook Application and then you must give those details to your Xenforo forums.
I will start with Facebook first.
So let’s get started.
First you will log into your Facebook account and navigate your way down the left side of your page to a section called Developer. Under that you will see a link called Manage Apps Click that:
You will then be taken to a page that looks like this:
At the top of the page you will see a few selections and you will have to click apps. A drop down menu will appear and you will click Create App like so:
After you click Create a New App you will be taken to this page:
So let’s go over these things:
- Display Name: This is the name you have for your app for your own use.
- Name Space: This is a unique identifier for your application it’s not required.
- Category: This allows you to select a category your app is in. I usually select App for A Page.
After you are done here click create app and it will ask you to type in a captcha after all of that is done you will be taken to your application now to get this to work we are concerned with the following sections:
- App Details
We will start in Dashboard it looks like this:
This is the general information of your app. App ID and App Secret you need however in order to make it work in your Xenforo. In order to get the App Secret you will be required to submit your Facebook password for verification.
Click on Settings and you will see a page like this:
This page is where you get your app ID again and namspace, and App Domain as well as contact email. Your contact email is required to make your app live so please add it here and click save changes. After you do that you will go to App Details on the left hand side and you will be taken to a page like so:
There is a lot of information here and it’s all pretty self explaining. If you wish you may customize this but for the purpose of this tutorial I am not going to. Navigate back to your Dashboard you will notice that your app isn’t live yet. Underneath the title dashboard you will see a little sentence that will tell you it’s not live and a ? next to it. Click that like so:
You will be taken to a page like so:
Once you click Yes it will become active and you can activate this on your Xenforo site! So let’s get over to our Admin panel in our Xenforo site. Don’t close your Facebook App Dashboard page yet though you need the information! So navigate to your admin home page and click on Tools at the top and you will see the following page you will then click Test Facebook Integration like so:
It will take you to the following page:
So let’s go over everything here:
- Facebook Application ID: This is the app id you see on your application dashboard.
- Facebook Application Secret ID: This is also found on your app dashboard page.
- Facebook Page Admins: This is if you have admins that run your like pages. However if you have your app id you don’t need this.
- Facebook Like Button Phrase: This allows you to set if it says like or Recommend.
- Enable Like or Recommend Feature: Pretty self-explanatory.
- Enable Facebook Registered Friends Feature: This displays in various places but more specifically your member page. It allows other users to see their friends and if they have a Facebook.
So enter all of the information and click Save Changes. Go to your board home and log out. When you click to log in you will be presented with an option to log in with Facebook like so:
There you have it! If you have any questions please feel free to ask below!
Looking for quality web hosting? Look no further than Arvixe Web Hosting!