Hello everyone and welcome back!
Today I am going to show you how to add Categories and Forum’s in Xenforo.
First off Xenforo refers to Categories or sections as nodes.
So let’s get started!
First you’re going to log into your admin panel and you will see the admin control panel home page. You will then click on Display Node Tree like the following image:
So click Display Node Tree and you will see the following page:
So it’s pretty straight forward. In order to add a new node you will click the “Add Node” button in the upper right hand corner of the page like so:
You will then see four selections on your screen like so:
So what does each do you ask? Well let’s go over them!
- Category: This is an overall group for example “News and Announcements”
- Forum: This is a sub category so within your “News and Announcements” you would have “Website News”
- Link Forum: This allows you to link to another page.
- Page: This will direct your users to another page.
So how can I add new Categories and Forums? Well let’s go over a very basic way to do this. So as we see in previous two images we clicked “Add New Node” and it took us to the above image. So then we will click category and then click proceed at the bottom and we will see the following page:
Ok so let’s go over the following topics in this page:
- Title: This is the title of your new Category. For this one I am going to name it “News”
- Description: This is what your new Category is about.
- Parent Node: This allows you to put the new Category within an already existing Node. However the default is [root node] this will add it to the board itself and have no parent at all.
- Display in node list: If this is checked users will be able to see it.
- Override user Style choice: If a user has another style choice selected (if you offer multiple ones) you can choose to override their choice.
So let’s look at what it looks like to have a completed form before pressing proceed:
And after that you press proceed and you get the following page:
So we can see the new category completed. Now let’s go ahead and add a forum to this category Click create new node and then select forum after that you will be taken to the following screen:
So go ahead and fill in the information that you wish to put and click proceed (make sure you select the parent or your forum will just go to the root board):
Click proceed and you will see the follow added to your Nodes:
So let’s take a look at what this looks like on our board. Navigate to your forum home page and you should see it added like so:
There you have it! You just created your first Category and forums for your Xenforo board! If you have any questions please feel free to ask below in the comments!
Looking for quality web hosting? Look no further than Arvixe Web Hosting!