Uploading videos using the default Files plugin can add some server load, especially if many are uploading videos. In this article I will give you a step by step guide about Simple Kaltura, a light way to upload/embed videos in elgg 1.8
Simple Kaltura is a plugin that has the following features:
- Upload videos to your Elgg site!
- Share and embed videos from your site
- Pick an exact frame from your video to use as it’s thumbnail
- Uses Kaltura Dynamic Player for HTML5 support (videos will play in iOS!)
1. First, download the Simple Kaltura for Elgg 1.8 plugin for elgg 1.8 here
2. Unzip the plugin in the mod folder of your elgg installation. If you don’t know how to do that, please read this article.
3. Log into elgg as an Administrator. Open the Administration Dashboard and go to menu “Configure -> Plugins”:
4. Search for the plugin Simple Kaltura for Elgg 1.8 and activate it:
5. After activation, edit settings, click Configure -> Settings -> Simple Kaltura:
6. To configure this plugin, you need to have a hosted Kaltura account. Go to http://corp.kaltura.com/ to get an account.
7. After getting a Kaltura account, you need to enter the Admin Tag, Partner ID, Email Address, and Password:
8. Run upgrade.php to refresh the views and clear the caches. If you don’t know how to run it, please read this article
9. Simple Kaltura has been enabled. For uploading videos, in your elgg network, go to header menu ‘More -> Videos’ and then ‘Upload a new video’
10. The upload video process is very simple. Just fill out the fields and start uploading it:
11. And that’s it, your video will be uploaded:
This concludes Simple Kaltura: A light way to upload/embed videos in elgg 1.8