reCAPTCHA is a free service from Google that protects your website from spam and abuse. Spamming is a big issue within any script, and in order to avoid a bad user experience, it is imperative that you use some kind of anti-spam method on your elgg site. That’s why in this article I will give you a step-by-step guide on how to integrate recaptcha in elgg
Recaptcha Public & Private Key
1. The first thing that you must do is get a public and private key from Google Recaptcha. To get one, go to this site: https://www.google.com/recaptcha/admin
2. Fill in the information required. After that you will be able to get your keys. Copy those keys and save them in a text file, we will need that later.
3. Get the Recaptcha plugin for elgg
4. Upload & Install the plugin. If you don’t know how to do that, please read this article.
5. Sign into elgg with your administrator account. Open the Admin Dashboard, and go to menu “Configure -> Plugins“:
6. Look for the elgg recaptcha plugin and activate it:
7. Now, go to menu “Configure -> Settings -> Elgg Recaptcha“:
8. In the settings page, you must enter the public and private key from step 2:
9. One of the key features that this new recaptcha plugin has is that you can select where you want to display a recaptcha challenge. Select where you want to show it and then save the changes:
10. And that’s it! Recaptcha is fully implemented within your site!
This concludes Recaptcha for elgg