New Security Tools for Elgg
In this article I am going to give you a step by step guide on how to protect Upgrade.php and elgg cron jobs in elgg 1.8
1. Security Tools is a GPL plugin for elgg 1.8 only. It is hosted at GitHub. To download it go to this page: Security Tools And then click on Download ZIP to get the plugin:
2. After downloading the plugin, upload the file to the mod folder of your elgg installation.
3. Next log into elgg as an Administrator. Go to menu “Configure -> Plugins”:
4. Activate the “Security Tools” plugin:
5. Now, go to menu “Configure -> Settings -> Security Tools“:
6. Inside the Security Tools panel, you can protect both Upgrade.php and also cron jobs. Select Secure Upgrade and Secure cron so that only the Administrator can run those specific elgg services:
7. Save the changes and that’s it! You just increased security on your elgg site. We strongly suggest you to use this tool, in order to prevent attacks that could slow down your site.
This concludes New Security Tools for Elgg