Donations can be a very effective way of making your forum turn a profit, or at least cover its server costs. This article will guide you through how to start accepting PayPal donations through your MyBB forum using a plugin “Donation Page”.
Note: You can use a more advanced donation plugins (making it possible to hide advertising for specific user groups, automated user group upgrades etc…) though for this article we’ll go through a more commonly used and basic plugin to achieve the possibility of donations.
Step 1: Downloading & uploading the donation module
- Download the donations page module here: http://mods.mybb.com/view/donation-page (“Download” button on the right sidebar)
- Login your cPanel control panel and open your file manager, upload donate.php to your root MyBB directory & donationpage.php to your /inc/plugins/ directory
Step 2: Installing & Configuring the donations page
- Login your MyBB admin control panel & navigate to: Configuration (Top navigation) -> Plugins (Left sidebar navigation)
- In the list of plugins find the “Donation Page” plugin and click “Install & Activate”
- Navigate to Configuration -> and find Donation Page Settings
- Configure the donation page settings to your liking (they should all be self-explanatory), once done scroll down and click “Save Changes”
Step 3: Adding a donate page link
Now that we have installed the donation module we need to create a link for people to see. Depending on the location of where you want this link to be it may slightly differ from below.
- Login your admin control panel and navigate to: Templates & Style (top navigation) -> Templates (left sidebar navigation)
- Find the template you use on your forum and click “Expand Templates”
- Find the “Header” template and click “Expand”
- Under the “Header” section click “Options -> Full Edit
- Find where you want to place your donate link and insert the following quote:
A recommended location is under this code: