mojoPortal Tips: Migrating a Site to Arvixe VPS, Part 3
Written by Carole Bennett Wednesday, 4 April 2012
In Part 2, we covered configuration of your Arvixe VPS, and how to create a client website. We’ll pick up from there and cover locating your “Instant Alias”, and how to transfer your MSSQL database for mojoPortal, as well as your mojoPortal web files.
Log into your VPS control panel – click on the “All Customers” link, and click through to the client you set up previously.
- You’ll see a number of options here: let’s start with “Web>Websites”
- You’ll see the name of the domain you entered for this client – click that link.
- In order to make sure that your mojoPortal instance will run correctly, we’re going to confirm that .Net 4.0 is installed; click on the “Extensions” tab.
- Under the “Extensions” tab, you’ll see a dropdown next to the “ASP.NET” label: set this dropdown to “4.0 (Integrated Pipeline)”
- Press the “Update” button.
It’s really important to do this *before* you upload your mojoPortal instance, because if you haven’t, the mojoPortal web.config will create an issue that “breaks” this control panel, and you won’t be able to update your client site via this panel. If, for any reason, you didn’t get this in time, and your control panel shows an error message, don’t despair; just change the web.config file to web.bak, restart the site, and you’ll be able to access the panel correctly.
- Navigate back to the “Hosting Space” panel for this website (using the breadcrumb navigation), and click the “FTP Users” icon.
- Click on “Create FTP Account”
- Enter a User Name and Password, and click “Save” – you’ll use this to log into your web space to upload your mojoPortal files. I highly recommend using Filezilla for ftp file uploading. It’s free, reliable, and easy to use.
- Go ahead and set up your FTP client, and log into your new client space, using the IP address for your VPS server, and the user name/password you created in #3.
- Navigate back to the “Hosting Space” panel for this website (using the breadcrumb navigation), and click the “Databases/SQL2008″ menu.
- Create a database – make sure you use the same name as the database from your client’s current site installation
- After that’s completed, create a user; again, be sure you use the same user name and password that you’re currently using for your client.
- Create a backup of your current client database from your current hosting service. Download the .bak file to your local drive. If it’s a very large database, you may wish to FTP it up to the new website before restoring it to the new Arvixe VPS client site. If so, upload it now.
- Click the link for the database you’ve created on the Arvixe server – under “Maintenance Tools”, you’ll see the option to backup or restore. Click “Restore”.
- Select the “Hosting Space File” radio button – a box will appear, allowing you to navigate to the backup file you uploaded to the server.
- Select the backup file on the server, and click the “Restore” button. This may take a bit, depending on how large your database file is.
- Upload your mojoPortal instance files to the new server (be sure to copy all the files from your mojoPortal site on the previous server, so that any uploaded images transfer correctly).
- Be sure to update your web.config to point to the right database location, as well as your e-mail.
Wow, that’s a lot of steps, isn’t it? Well, let’s take a break, get a soda or a cup of coffee, and come back to go over the final steps to get this transfer completed.