In this article, I will give you a step by step guide on how to invite people by email in Elgg 1.8
Social networking is all about socializing and connecting with your friends, and with elgg you can do all this. However you need a way to let them know where to find you or where you are sharing updates of your life or work, and the best way to do it is by importing your email contacts.
1. What you need to first is download the community plugin GrabContacts for Elgg 1.8
2. Install the plugin in the mod folder of your elgg network. Sign into your elgg site with the Administrator account and go to the Administration Dashboard.
3. Go to menu “Configure -> Plugins”:
4. Now, activate the “GrabContacts” plugin:
5. Finally, after activating the plugin, a new element will appear in the header menu, where you can go to the import contacts page. In this page, you can either add emails individually or you can import them from your Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail or AOL email account:
Note: Due to security changes in Gmail, you have to log into your Gmail account and allow the GrabContacts access to your contact list. Otherwise you won’t be able to import contacts from Gmail.
This concludes Import contacts in Elgg.