How to Use Microsoft SQL Server 2008 to Connect to your Database

Related documents:
1. How to Fix the “The server principal ( ) is not able to access the database ( )” Error In Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio
2. Windows PowerShell 2.0
3. How to backup a MSSQL database using Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Management Studio Express
4. How to restore an MSSQL .bak database using Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Management Studio Express

This post will give you step by step instructions on how to connect to your SQL server database using Microsoft SQL Server 2008.

1) Set up a “SQL Server 2008 Database” and a “SQL Server 2008 User” in your DotNetPanel. A tutorial on how to do that can be found here.

2) Go to the Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Management Studio Express download page. The page can be accessed here.

3) Click “Download files below”.

4) Download SQL Management Studio x64 or x86 depending on your system.

5) Click “Run” when the File Download box appears. Follow the directions until you arrive at the Planning screen like the one below.

6) Click “Installation” on the left panel.

7) Click “New SQL Server stand-alone installation or add feature to an existing installation”.

8 ) Click “OK” when the Setup Support Rules page completes the scan.

9) Click “Next >”.

10) Check the box next to “I accept the license terms.” and then click “Next >”.

11) Click “Install”.

12) Click “Next >”.

13) Click “Select All” and then “Next >”.

14) Click “Next >”.

15) Click “Install”.

16) Once the installation process is complete, click “Next >”.

17) Click “Close”.

18) Open SQL Server Management Studio.

19) Set the Server type to Database Engine.

20) Enter your Server name. If you are unsure of what your server name is, you can find it under Location in your DotNetPanel.

21) Set the Authentication to SQL Server Authentication.

22) Use the User name and Password that you set up for the database in your DotNetPanel.

23) Using the leaf.arvixe server and the user name “Example”, the window should now look like this.

Also, Click the Options button, then the Connection Properties and make sure you type ‘master‘ in there (VERY IMPORTANT STEP !!!).
mssql_connect_to_server_choose_master

24) Press “Connect” and your window should now look like this.

This concludes how you can use Microsoft SQL Server 2008 to remotely connect to your SQL Database. If you get an error message when accessing your files, a tutorial on how to fix that can be found here.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , | Posted under DotNet/Windows Hosting, MSSQL | RSS 2.0

Author Spotlight

Arian Jahansouz

Arian Jahansouz

Hello, I am Arian! I have been writing for Arvixe since 2009 and now head the Arvixe Blog. Feel free to contact me at any time with questions or comments!

36 Comments on How to Use Microsoft SQL Server 2008 to Connect to your Database

1. Rohit says:

If this still doesn’t work, try :
    1. In Object Explorer, click Databases
    2. Display “Object Explorer Details” (F7) or “View –> Object Explorer Details”
    3. Right click the column headers and deselect “collation”
    4. Refresh Databases.

Extract from : http://blog.cpugeni.com/archive/2008/09/22/microsoft-sql-server-management-studio-2008-error-916.aspx

2. Tony says:

For those who have SQL Server Management Studio 2005, there’s no need to download SQL Server 2008 Express Management Studio to access your database. SQL Server Management Studio 2005 works just fine (I just tried it). Just thought this might save you some time from having to install Server 2008 Express Management Studio.

3. pluto says:

SQL server 2005 connectectivity to Arvixe MSSQL 2008 server dosent work for me.
    Error message prompted :
    “This version of Microsoft SQL Management Studio can only be used to SQL Server 2000 and SQL Server 2005 servers.”

4. Brad Scott says:

There is a problem installing this tool if you already have Sql Server 2008 Express installed. You will not be given the option to install Management Studio. You have to uninstall SQL Server Express, then you can reinstall with the Management Studio. Took me several attempts to figure this out, but uninstalling first did the trick.

5. gross says:

Hi, in step “20) Enter your Server name” in Location in your DotNetPanel I have another name “Location: My Server Resources”
    So what I need to do.

• Arvand Sabetian Arvixe Blog says:

If your domain name is pointing at your webspace, you can also just put in your domain name (domain.com). Otherwise, a server address is (SOMETHING.arvixe.com) and its also outlined in your setup email. Do note that if you have a dedicated or vps account, you’ll need to use the hostname of your VPS as outlined in your setup email.

6. David says:

Regarding Brad’s comment up there, where there is a problem if you already have SQL 2008 Express installed. I stumbled on this blog a coupel of weeks ago when I was in the same predicament. It includes a link to a version of Express Managemnet Studio that can be installed regardless.

7. Ryan says:

Hi,

Got this error issue.

TITLE: Connect to Server
    ——————————

Cannot connect to juniper.arvixe.com.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 – Could not open a connection to SQL Server) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 53)

• It may be that your network is not allowing you to access servers on port 1433 which is the port MSSQL server runs on. Please contact your network administer or turn off any network/computer firewalls.

8. Michael says:

I’m new to creating websites with databases, but I’m familiar with MySQL and creating queries.
    I’ve created a website in Microsoft Visual Studio 2008, added an SQL datasource, but it didn’t seem to work when I uploaded it to my site.
    I found a comment here about how I cant upload .mdf files to my site, unless I do somethinb via .bak files, or something like that.?
    So I found all this text above, and Im not sure I understand what’s going on.
    I think that can create a SQL Server 2008 database via the Arvixe WebsitePanel, but from above it looks like I need some additional software to make this database, or manage it, or something?
    The above looks like it’s for connecting to my database, but I can’t upload my database, so Im confused. help. thanks

• If you don’t have an application that will connect to the database and utilize it for you and need to alter tables/columns/etc yourself, you need the Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio which is available for free to connect to your database.

9. gspy says:

Just a tip that i found with the hard way!

If your DB password is long, more than 25-30 chars (e.g. because you are using a schema like domain_dbname_pass), you will recieve an ‘authentication error’ in the sql management studio.

The solution: use a password with less than 20 chars! (I’m not user about the exact length, but i used a pass with less that 20 chars and worked)

10. Ian McIntosh Ian McIntosh says:

Another option for managing a website with a MS SQL database is to use another free to download program, MS WebMatrix. You can use that to install a website locally and can then publish it to Arvixe which also takes care of uploading the database.

Webmatrix can be used to install CMS (MojoPortal, WordPress, Joomla etc) Blogs, eCommerce, forums etc via the web gallery. There is also an option to create a site from a template or just use a website you’ve already created.

I use Webmatrix to manage my Website and Server Management Studio if I need to do something a bit more involved.

11. Said says:

HI,
    How to display only my DBs not all the DBs on the server when I connect through the Mngmnt Studio?

12. Joycees says:

hi
    how to connect sql2008 databtse to j2ee using driver two code??
    we use the following code..

Connection con;
    PreparedStatement ps;

Class.forName(“sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver”);
    con=DriverManager.getConnection(“Jdbc:Odbc:Hospital”,”sa”,”pass@123″);

At the time of running we get tje following error..

“Errorjava.sql.SQLException: [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Invalid string or buffer length”

13. Swapnil says:

Thnx Buddy it was helpful :)

14. Ahmad says:

Hello,

I have tried to access to my sql server database on a server but i got this error message.
    Could anyone help me.

TITLE: Connect to Server
    ——————————

Cannot connect to deepaktomar.db.8428748.hostedresource.com.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=53&LinkId=20476

BUTTONS:

OK

15. Brian says:

SQL passwords through the WebsitePanel seem to have a 20 character limit as stated above.

I originally tried a 26 character WEP key as a password (easy to generate, hard to guess) but I could not login. Shortened to 20 characters and works like a breeze.

16. Walid says:

How to change the database collation and login user language?

17. advertising and *********** with Adwords. Well I?m including this RSS to my e-mail and could look out for much extra of your respective intriguing content. Make sure you replace this again very soon..

18. niamatullah raufi says:

dear all salam
    i was install sucssesful sql server 2005 in local system after of installation i want to connect to database the requaired server name and i not hove server becouse i was install in local system i can’t what i will do and when i want to connect
    display this error (provider:name pipes provider,error,40 in which server name i must enter
    plz help me

19. Excellent post. I was checking constantly this blog and I am impressed! Extremely helpful information particularly the closing part :) I care for such information a lot. I was seeking this certain information for a long time. Thanks and best of luck.

20. Binu says:

I sucessfully connected to my site but i am not able to see my databasethat i created thru control panel.And itis not allowing me to create new database thru Management studio Please help me

21. Marcus Ford says:

One thing worth noting that is not included in this forum is executing the ConnectionString Deployment SQL script in the obj release folder created in the deployment package from Visual Studio. If you are like me and create your web applications from Visual Studio, then you can connect to MS SQL Server Management Studio as per the above example. However, what this doesn’t explain is how to use the Script Database As SQL Script. There is no point in restoring the database in Arvixe’s server once you have the database name set up. The Script Database as SQL Script can be use to run the ConnectionString Deployment SQL Script to retrieve the the database schema. This will create the tables and any stored procedures. By opening up the SQL script file in the obj release folder for your project deployed in Visual Studio, you can copy the script into the new Script Database As SQL Script file the click execute. Again this will create all your tables and your current database schema settings and there is no need to upload any database from your local computer.

22. Michael Lee says:

How do we access sql server agent in 2012. I want to create a schedule job. I have stored procedure that I want to be executed automatically. Anyone?

• Noah S Noah S says:

Hi Michael,

Unfortunately that is not possible (stored procedure that I want to be executed automatically) on our shared servers. It can only be done on the VPS or Dedicated plans. If you have either of those or would like to upgrade to either of those, just send an e-mail to support[@]arvixe.com and our team will be able to assist you. Thank you!

23. John says:

I have installed and followed all instructions (I believe). When I connect I can’t see any “user” databases. and I get this error…

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio
    ——————————

Failed to retrieve data for this request. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdk.Sfc)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&LinkId=20476

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

An exception occurred while executing a Transact-SQL statement or batch. (Microsoft.SqlServer.ConnectionInfo)

——————————

The server principal “BrcGlobal” is not able to access the database “KoenMetsu.FunnelWeb” under the current security context. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 916)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&ProdVer=11.00.3128&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=916&LinkId=20476

BUTTONS:

OK
    ——————————

Why is it trying to connect me to KoenMetsu.FunnelWeb ? I don’t even know who that is or where that came from.

Thanks for your help.

24. Jon says:

Thanks for that last like Noah. It was exactly what I was looking for.

25. Jon says:

*link (not like). Sorry.

26. DEVENDRA says:

we have to known about conecting to server by 2 ways
    1.Windows level
    2.server level

if have any way to connect to server please post it

27. Larry Deel says:

I just signed up for a VPSCLASS ASP Pro account. I successfully connected to my SQL Server via SSMS 2008 Standard (remotely). I tried to create a new database via the New Database dialog in SSMS and received the following error. Do I need to be using a different approach ?
    TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio
    ——————————

Cannot write property IsFileStream.This property is not available on SQL Server 7.0. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo)

• Noah S Noah S says:

Hi Larry,
      To create a database you need to use your WebSitePanel. The log in instructions for the WebSitePanel were sent when you signed up. If you do not have that information please contact Arvixe support and they will be able to provide you with it.
      Regards.