How to use IMAPSize to backup and restore your IMAP email account
Written by Shai Ben-Naphtali Sunday, 22 November 2009
If you find that you need to backup your mailbox at your other hosting provider before you transfer it to Arvixe (or just need to backup your mailbox…), this post will show you how to setup, backup and restore your mailbox.
Note, that this must insure that you need to have an IMAP account/access to where your mailbox exists (not all hosting providers allow this, unlike Arvixe).
Warning: In any case, you should NOT delete the old account before you made sure that the restoration at the new server was completed successfully!
Warning: I found out that in some cases, Restore Backup won’t work and manual restoration of each folder is needed.
- First, download the Installer and install it (or unzip and execute the Zipped Distribution if you downloaded that)  (picture 1)
- Setup your account with the credentials as the hosting provider gave you (picture 2)
Use the “Smart INBOX” after you read about it here. Personally, for this demonstration, I did need to check this check box.
- Now you will see the main screen. Click the Check Size button to see the size of your account before backing it up (picture 3)
- This is just a sample mailbox I had created, with two emails in the Inbox and one in Sent. If you read the FAQs I told you above, you’d see why checking the Smart INBOX check box in the account properties was needed on this account (picture 4)
- Click on the Backup button or from the menu click on Account -> Account Backup (picture 5)
- In the Account Backup window, click on Select All and then Backup buttons (picture 6)
- When backup is done, you’ll see an Information popup. Click on either the Details… or OK button (picture 7)
- I chose the Details… button, just so you see what it shows you (picture 8)
- That concludes the backup process. Now, I’ve went to that account and deleted those three emails. I will now show you how I restore them from my local backup on my PC.
First, here is the main screen again, after I check the size of the mailbox on the server again (picture 9)
- From the menu, click on Account -> Restore Backup (picture 10)
- In the Restore Backup window, click on Select All and then Restore buttons (picture 11)
- When restore is done, you’ll see an Information popup. Click on either the Details… or OK button (picture 12)
- I chose the Details… button, just so you see what it shows you (picture 13)
- At this point, this should be all you need to do. If, by any change this failed to work (and it could fail), have no fear. Though this is a more length process, you can still restore the backup that you did, of the emails you have saves from the backup process you ran before.
- From the main window, refresh your mailbox size by clicking the Check Size button again.
Right click the first folder you want to restore email to (I picked INBOX) -> Upload Messages -> From *.eml files (picture 14)
- Select all the .eml files from the backup folder for that mail folder (for INBOX) and click Open (picture 15)
- When it’s done uploading them, the Information popup will appear (picture 16)
- Do this for every folder you need to restore… and you’re done!