How to Upgrade to Elgg 1.8
Written by Rodolfo Hernandez Tuesday, 13 September 2011
Elgg 1.8 has been released! It comes with new features and a new design. Upgrading can be a difficult process if you do not have a guide, which is why in this article, I will give you a step by step guide on how to upgrade Elgg 1.8
Sign in to your cPanel and follow these steps:
1. Go to the Software/Service section of your cPanel and click on Softaculous:
2. Once you are inside Softaculous, click on the box icon that says All Installations, which is located on the top right of the page.
3. This will take you to a page where you can see the applications installed on your domain. Look for the Elgg install that you want to backup, and click on the backup icon:
4. After this, it will ask you what you want to backup: Directory or Database. Choose both options and click on Backup Installation:
5. Wait for the process to finish. Once it is finished, we go back to cPanel
6. Now, sign in to your Elgg site as an admin. Go to the Administration page and click on Tools Administration. Once you are inside that page, click on Disable All:
7. After disabling all, logout of your Elgg site.
8. Now, go back to your cPanel, on the Files section, please click on File Manager: A little window will pop out, select the domain in which your Elgg site is installed and click on go:
Elgg 1.8 has changed the structure of several views; for that reason, we are going to delete the folder views:
If you have done changes to the core views files, you will have to migrate those changes to the new 1.8 views directory:
9. After removing the views folder, go back to the home folder where your Elgg site is installed. Here, we are going to remove the following folders:
* search (may interfere with the search plugin so definitely important to delete)
10. Now, go back to your cPanel and look for Softaculous:
11. In Softaculous, go to the Social Networking section and click on Elgg:
12. Now, inside the Elgg section, look for the installation that you want to upgrade and click on the blue arrows to start the upgrading process:
13. After that, you will be taken to a confirmation screen. Click on Upgrade:
14. Upgrading is now done. A confirmation window will appear stating that.
Keep in mind that some of the plugins that you may be using will work with Elgg 1.8 yet. You will have to either replace them with new ones or update them by yourself.
This now concludes how to upgrade to Elgg 1.8