The activity feed addon for ocPortal is designed for you to be able to display a list of all the activities which are happening on your site. There are a number of configurable options for this block and it can be used to display a range of activities configured and limited to all activities or those from specific members.
There is also an option to add an update your status block which works the same way most social networks status systems work. It’s a fairly straight forward process to be able to set up this addon. This process is detailed below.
To activate this feature you will need to:
- Log in to your adminzone
- Navigate to the addons screen which is located in the structure section of the adminzone
- Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and choose to import non-bundled addons
- Select the Downloads section and this feature can be downloaded here in the new features section
- Once you have chosen the activity feed addon you can click import non-bundled addons.
The next screen shows all of the files which will be edited or installed. Check this list carefully if you have manually edited files to make sure nothing is being overwritten which will break your site. If you are happy you can click proceed.
The files will now be added and once you return to the addons section. Scroll down until you find the activity feed listed in the addons section and click the green plus sign to complete the installation. Again it will ask you to check the list of files and then click proceed.
There are now two block added to the comcode block creation wizard. These are the main Activities block which displays what activity has been going on and can be filtered. There is also the main activities state block so your users can send in status updates.
Setting up the main activities block.
There are six main fields you can fill in when adding this block to a page. These are:
- Max – The maximum number of activities which will be displayed. This defaults to 10
- Param – This is the title of the block which you want to display on your site.
- Member – Can be left blank but can be used to display activities only from certain members
- Mode – A choice of display types from all activities, only activities from some members stated above or activities from the stated members friends
- Grow – whether you want the list to grow and become longer as more activities are added
- Refresh time – How often you want to check for new activities. You may want to set this to longer if your server has usage limits.
Adding an update your status block to an ocPortal page
The main activities state block is added in the same way you add a comcode block and only has one main configurable option which is to give the block a title.