How to Make Static Profiles in Elgg 1.8
Written by Rodolfo Hernandez Saturday, 13 October 2012
On a previous post I talked about how to make static profiles in elgg 1.7 However, it involved editing code and it wasn’t a clean solution. For that reason I decided to develop a solution, without having to edit existing code or write a new one. In this article I will give you a step by step guide on how to create static profiles in Elgg 1.8
1. First, log into your elgg network as an Admin and go to the Administration Dashboard. Then go to Menu “Configure->Appearance->Default Widgets”:
2. On the Default Widgets screen, you can add, remove, position, and configure default widgets for the selected widget page and that will be applied to all of your users. Take note that these changes will only affect new users on the site.
Now, let’s get started. Click on “Add widgets” to select which widgets do you want to display by default:
3. Then click on the widgets that you wish to add in the profile page of your new users. You can change position of the widgets only by clicking and dragging as show in the image below:
4. After setting up default widget, we will make profile statics. We have to remove the “Add Widgets” from the profile page of your users. To do that, use a tool I developed called “Add Widget only for Admins for elgg 1.8″
This tool will hide the “Add widgets” button from regular users’ profile pages. Download it here
5. Unzip and upload the plugin to the mod folder of your elgg network to install the plugin. If you don’t know how to do this, please read this article.
6. While logged in as an Admin, go the Administration Dashboard, then Menu “Configure->Plugins” and activate the plugin:
7. This plugin will show the “Add Widgets” only to Admins upon activation and hide it from your regular users. If you don’t see any change, run upgrade.php
Now regular profiles should look like this:
This concludes How to make static profiles in elgg 1.8