This post is to walk you through the SocialEngine manual installation step by step . . . .
– Go to https://www.socialengine.com/sign-in
– Download the socialengine.zip to the folder on the hosting account where you want this installed.
– Upload the zip file to your website root folder, then extract it there
– Create Database and db user/password. To do this you can check http://blog.arvixe.com/how-to-create-a-database-and-user-for-mysql/ and do NOT lose this information as we will need them later.
– Now set the permissions. You need to 777 CHMOD the following directories and files:
Note: For this you can use SSH access or ask our support to do this step for you.
/install/config/ (recursively; all directories and files contained within this must also be changed)
/temporary/ (recursively; all directories and files contained within this must also be changed)
/public/ (recursively; all directories and files contained within this must also be changed)
/application/themes/ (recursively; all directories and files contained within this should also be changed)
/application/packages/ (recursively; all directories and files contained within this should also be changed)
/application/languages/ (recursively; all directories and files contained within this must also be changed)
/application/settings/ (recursively; all files contained within this must also be changed)
To do the above, please ask our support to enable ssh for you and then type the following commands:
chmod 777 ~/public_html/PathToYourSocialEngine/install/config -R
chmod 777 ~/public_html/PathToYourSocialEngine/temporary -R
chmod 777 ~/public_html/PathToYourSocialEngine/public -R
chmod 777 ~/public_html/PathToYourSocialEngine/application/themes -R
chmod 777 ~/public_html/PathToYourSocialEngine/application/packages -R
chmod 777 ~/public_html/PathToYourSocialEngine/application/languages -R
chmod 777 ~/public_html/PathToYourSocialEngine/application/settings -R
Where PathToYourSocialEngine is where your socialengine files are located. If it is under your public_html, then it would be something like: chmod 777 ~/public_html/install/config -R and so on.
Note: The -R is for recursive which means all directories and files contained within this must also be changed.
– Access the SocialEngine installer by accessing your website ex: domain.com, the installer wizard will automatically begin.
Note: if you get a redirect loop, Please rename the .htaccess files (one in the root folder for your website and the other /install/.htaccess) to .htaccess_old . Then clear your browser cache and access your website again.
– Copy and paste your License Key which you can get from https://www.socialengine.com/sign-in
– Now you’re in Step 2: Check Requirements. Everything should be fine (if not, contact support) so, hit continue.
– Now Step 3: Setup MySQL Database. Here we will use the information you set when you created the DB and DB user. Use localhost as the MySQL Host. it should be there by default.
– You will get something like the following and if you face any issues please contact support:
– Click on contine and then you will see:
– Click on continue.
– Now you are in Step 4: Create Admin Account, where you set your admin user information and the timezone.
– When done, save your information in a safe place and hit continue.
Note: Please rename back the .htaccess files if you have changed their names before.
– Now click on control panel word so you can go to your admin area (control panel) to install plugins.
– To install plugins, you need to go to https://www.socialengine.com/sign-in and download the plugins you want (I will chose Blogs for an example)
– Enter your FTP info and click on continue. If you are not sure of your path, leave it as is and check the “Search For SocialEngine Path” option.
– Done. Now you can continue to install other plugins.