ocPortal has an astonishingly comprehensive range of core installed features. On top of this there is a directory of extra ocPortal features and functionality available. In many cases ocPortal will already include most features you need, but these extra features have been kept as add-ons so the core software doesn’t suffer from being bloated. Many of these addons are features which some people will find very useful but not everyone!
These addons are split into several categories which are:
- New features
- Uncategorised or Alpha development phase addons
- Development addons
- Admin Utilities
- Third party integration to integrate external elements such as LastFM or ebay blocks
- Graphical addons
- Information display
- Fun and Games
A full list of all the addons can be found on the ocPortal website addons directory. A few of my favourite add-ons I use quite often are:
ocUserMap – This is an addon to allow you to be able to display map pins for your members. I use this addon for a number of games communities which I have created over the last few years. This addon can be found in the Information display section.
Gallery Carousel – I have used this on a portfolio site to change how the gallery is displayed on a page.
ocIcon & ocSmilies – This is an extra Icon pack and a replacement for the standard ocPortal smilies for use with ocPortal which I use on most community websites.
Facebook and Twitter support – Allow your users to log in with Facebook and Twitter.
To Install a new addon you need to follow this simple process:
- Log in to the adminzone of your website.
- Navigate to the Structure section of the adminzone.
- Choose the addons option.
- Choose either to upload a file which you have downloaded from the ocPortal website or click the download check box.
- Choose the addon you want to install. If you are using the download option you can hover over each addon name to see a description of the addon.
- Click the import non-bundled addon(s) button at the bottom of the screen.
You will then be taken to a screen that details which files will be changed. If you have heavily customised or modified your install, you will need to be careful none of your changes are overwritten which could cause problems to your site. There may also be a warning or two, so read these carefully before proceeding.
Once you have clicked proceed you will need to fully install the addon from the addons list on the addons screen. Simply click the + sign and follow the instructions for that specific addon. There may be further instructions for each specific addon which can be found on the ocPortal website.