Spam is a huge problem in elgg networks, and it is a problem for us too since spammers waste server resources. Not only that, spam on elgg networks could lead to a black listing of our servers. For that reason in this article I will give you a step by step guide on how to protect your network with Akismet, which is the best tool to avoid spam content in WordPress, and now it is available in elgg 1.8
1. Download the community plugin “Akismet for Elgg 1.8 for Elgg 1.8” here
2. After downloading the plugin, upload the plugin to the mod folder. If you don’t know how to do that, please read this article
3. Login on your Elgg network as an Administration and go to the Administration Dashboard:
4. Then go to menu “Configure ->Plugins” and activate the plugin:
5. Now, let’s change the plugin’s settings. Go to Menu “Configure -> Settings -> Akismet”, You must have the Akismet API key. To get one, go to www.akismet.com:
6. And now Akismet to automatically detect and disable new objects that have spam in the ->description field.
This concludes How to install Akismet in elgg 1.8