How to Enable Privacy for Comments in Elgg 1.8
Written by Rodolfo Hernandez Friday, 13 July 2012
Once again, Elgg 1.8 has privacy for who can see items that are posted on the site, which is good. However, still lacks privacy for comments in public posts. For that reason, I decided to develop a plugin to cover that privacy issue. In this article, I will give you a step by a step guide on how to enable privacy for comments in Elgg 1.8
1. First, we download the plugin SW Social Privacy for Elgg 1.8 for Elgg 1.8 here.
2. Once downloaded, unzip the plugin. Then, with an FTP Manager, connect to your site.
3. Upload the plugin’s main folder to the mod folder of your Elgg installation:
4. Now, sign in as an Administrator on your Elgg site and go to the Administration Dashboard:
5. Then go to menu “Configure -> Plugins”
6. In the plugins section, look for the plugin SW Social Privacy and enable it.
7. Run Upgrade.php after enabling the plugin. If you do not know how to run upgrade.php, please read this guide: Run Upgrade.php and now your users will be able to set privacy for comments in their public posts.
To access the privacy option, back on the Elgg site on the top bar menu click on Settings, then on Configure Tools and you will see a drop down box to select the comments privacy for your public posts:
This now concludes how to enable privacy for comments in Elgg 1.8
For more info about Elgg hosting solutions, visit Arvixe Elgg Hosting.