How to Connect via SSH with PuTTY on Windows

Hi,

If you are on Windows and need to connect via SSH to your server, there is a very easy to use program called PuTTY.
Difficulty level: Super Easy

1. Open PuTTY. If you have not downloaded it yet, download it here.

2. In the window that pops up, type as ‘Host Name’ your server’s address.

3. Select from the radio buttons SSH.

4. Click Open.

5. In the black window, where it says ‘login as’, type your username. Press Enter

6. You will now be asked for your password. Type it and press Enter.

If the password is wrong, it will ask you to retype it, if correct, you will be logged in.

That is it! You have managed to connect via SSH with PuTTY. Any questions, comments, suggestions, etc, please let me know and I will be more than glad to assist you.

Best Regards,
Richi
Owner of www.Juapo2Services.com

Looking for quality Linux Web Hosting? Try out Arvixe web hosting and you won’t be disappointed.

Tags: , , , , , , | Posted under 3rd Party Software, Operating Systems, Security/Vulnerability, Windows 7 | RSS 2.0

Author Spotlight

Richi González

Richi González

I started programming when I was 12. I'm a Developer and have been working with the Clip-Bucket script since it came out. I became a Liaison between Arvixe and Clip-Bucket, so I am here to assist you with anything you need regarding Clip-Bucket or any particular computer-related subject you need. Best Regards, Richi

11 Comments on How to Connect via SSH with PuTTY on Windows

1. manoj says:

its not allowing to enter the password…. can anyone help???

• Richi González Richi González says:

Hi,

Please give me more information to help you, like what errors are being output, etc.

Regards,
      Richi

2. Adrián says:

Hello,
    I can not enter the password, after I type the user some lines appear then asks for password but when i have to type it it blocks or stops and an alert jumps: “Server unexpectedly closed netowrk connection”.
    For your information, I pressed yes to cache session.

3. Adrián says:

Hello,
    I installed Secure Shell and could get access to the server, thank you.

Good Byte

4. Peshte says:

Hi.
    My local PC (the client) is behind router and every time when I try to connect to a remote server via ssh, I get a “time out” error.
    When I connect directly, without router, the connection works.
    I’ve tried to forward the 22 port to the lan ip of the client PC, but don’t work.

Any suggestions?
    Thanks.

5. Peshte says:

I don’t have a modem, it is a TP-link (TL-WR1043ND) router.

6. Peshte says:

I’ve investigated the problem. The port 22 was blocked by my ISP. it is working now. Thanks.