This article gives a step by step guide on how to block spammers at login in Elgg. This brand new tool against spammers for Elgg is called Spam Login Filter. It is a plugin that blocks registrations using external services and internal domain blacklist. To install this anti-spammer tool, follow these steps:
1) Download the Spam Login Filter plugin from here.
2) Once downloaded, unzip the plugin. Then, with an FTP Manager, connect to your site.
3) Upload the plugin’s main folder to the mod folder of your Elgg installation:
4) After uploading is done, go back to your Elgg site, and login as an admin. On the topbar menu, click on the Administration link:
5) Then, on the administration page, click on Tools Administration:
6) Find there the plugin spam_login_filter and click on Enable to activate the plugin:
7) Once activated, go back and find the plugin and click on the link that says Settings:
8 ) A menu will be displayed with some options. Select yes only to those marked on the picture (click the image to enlarge it):
9) Then, click on Save and that is it, the spam_login_filter was successfully enabled!
I have been using this plugin on my live site for the last couple of weeks with positive results. Spammers have been a headache for all Elgg users. With the implementation of external anti-spammer engines, human spammers have been stopped as well. So far, it is the best tool to use against spammers. It is extremely important that you protect your Elgg site against spammers. Elgg spammers hammer your site, and waste server resources in a bad way.
This now concludes how to block spammers at login in Elgg