How to Allow Members to Delete Their Own Accounts in Elgg 1.8
Written by Rodolfo Hernandez Friday, 27 April 2012
Social networking is all about users’ content ownership. Nowadays it is necessary to allow users to delete all of their personal information from any social network. For that reason, I will give a step by step guide on how to allow your members to delete their own accounts in Elgg 1.8
1. First, we will download a plugin called Member Selfdelete for Elgg 1.8 (you must have Elgg 1.8 for this) which can be downloaded here.
2. After downloading the plugin, upload the plugin to the mod folder. If you don’t know how to do that, please read this article.
3. Login on your Elgg network as an Administration and go to the Administration Dashboard:
4. Then go to menu “Configure ->Plugins” and activate the plugin:
5. After that, users will be able to delete their own accounts. The delete option will be available at the user’s settings page menu:
6. The delete account section is pretty simple. It has an optional feedback form and a confirmation box:
7. That’s it! Delete account option is now enabled.
For some time, you could not allow members to delete their accounts. It is very important to install this plugin if you are running an Elgg site. Privacy for users is extremely important, and you need to let them have the choice to remove everything from your Elgg site.
This now concludes how to allow members to delete their own accounts in Elgg 1.8
For more info about Elgg hosting solutions, visit Arvixe Elgg Hosting.