How to Allow Access to Anonymous Users in Your ASP Application
Written by Rodolfo Hernandez Wednesday, 14 November 2012
ASP application that requires authentication prevents anonymous or non authenticated users from accessing any page without proper authentication. This is a great feature, however if you have a page or pages within your asp application that you want to display to non authenticated users you won’t be able because of ASP Authentication restrictions. In this article I will give you a step by step guide on How to Allow/Deny access to Anonymous users in your ASP Application
Note: For the purposes of this guide, I will grant access to non authenticated to the ‘credits’ page of my ASP application.
1. Open the web.config file of your ASP application.
2. Go to the bottom of the web.config file. Open a location tag and set the path of the page that you want to allow anonymous access:
3. Inside the location tag, we are going to use the authorization tag. For non authenticated access, permission is set by an asterisk (*) For restricted access, all you have to do is write a question mark (?):
4. Finally, put the authorization tag inside the system.web tag:
5. Save your changes and that’s it. Non Authenticated or Anonymous access has been granted.
This concludes how to publish your ASP application with FTP in Visual Studio