Special characters, such as ‘&’ ‘%’, have to be written in another way to be displayed in websites. Same goes for page titles, and it is important to properly format it so that search engines can index your website in their database. In this article I will give you a step by step guide on How to add SEO Friendly Titles for special characters in elgg 1.8
1. First, download the SEO Friendly Titles community plugin here
2. Unzip the plugin in the mod folder of your elgg installation. If you don’t know how to do that, please read this article.
3. Once you unzip the plugin, sign in to your Elgg network as an Administrator. On the Admin Dashboard sidebar menu, go to menu “Configure > Plugins”:
4. Search for SEO Friendly Titles plugin and activate it:
5. The plugin itself already contains a list of predefined special characters, however if more are needed to be included, you need to open the file start.php which is located inside the plugin folder. In the file, find lines 17 and 82 and add your own Special Characters:
Example: $title = str_replace(“А”,”a”,$title);
Where first A is a specific non-latin symbol and second a is a latin relevant symbol:
6. Save your changes and that’s it!
This concludes How to add SEO Friendly Titles for special characters in elgg 1.8.