Keeping your elgg site up to date is very important, because it will keep you protected against any security threat or a bug that could make your elgg network unstable. For that reason in this article I will give a step by step guide on how to add a version checker widget that will show whether your network is up to date or not.
1. The first thing to do is to download the plugin Core Version for elgg 1.8 here
2. After downloading the plugin, upload and install the plugin to the mod folder. If you don’t know how to do that, please read this article
3. After installing the plugin, sign into your Elgg site as an Administrator. In the top bar, click on the Administration link:
4. Go to Menu “Configure > Plugins”:
5. Look for the plugin Core Version Widget and activate it:
6. After activating the plugin, go back to the Administration Dashboard. There you will see the widget that will check the elgg version that you are using. If the version is outdated, you will get a notification and a link to download the newest version:
7. And that’s it. Now you have a version checker. This plugin is not compatible with elgg 1.7
Although elgg 1.7 is still supported by the elgg community, we strongly recommend you to get the latest elgg 1.8 version.
This Concludes How to add a version checker in elgg 1.8