How to Add a Customizable Homepage in Elgg 1.8
Written by Rodolfo Hernandez Tuesday, 9 October 2012
Elgg is a very flexible social networking platform. However if you want to customize the homepage, you had to edit code. Now is different, you can edit it without editing any code. In this article I will give you a step by step guide on how to create a customizable home page in elgg 1.8
1. To have a customizable homepage, we will use a tool called Homepage CMS for elgg 1.8 You can download it here
2. After downloading the plugin, upload the plugin to the mod folder of your Elgg network to install it. If you don’t know how to do that, please read this article.
3. Sign in to your elgg network as an Administrator and go to the Administration Dashboard. There, go to Menu “Configure -> Plugins” and look for the Homepage CMS plugin. Activate it:
4. After activating the tool, please go to Menu “Configure -> Settings -> Homepage CMS” to set up your elgg homepage:
5. In the settings page you will be able to add a custom footer and its content. Also here you can set the layout of the homepage. This is a little bit tricky, but easy to do. This plugins works with percentages, columns and rows.
Each line represents one row of columns; each number represents the % of the width the column occupies. For example, if your first row is just 100 – you will have a single column spanning the entire width. A line of 25|25|25|25 will give you 4 equal columns. You can have as many rows and columns as you like:
6. After setting that up, go to Menu “Configure->Widgets->Manage” to customize your homepage. You can set it in any way you want:
This concludes How to add a customizable homepage in elgg 1.8
Note: Widget Manager has to be previously installed