Honeypot: Another Way to Protect Elgg Against Spammers
Written by Rodolfo Hernandez Friday, 1 March 2013
Spammers are becoming a great problem for elgg networks. In previous posts I shared some ways to protect your site, however automated spammers that are not listed in spam databases are targeting elgg networks and wasting useful server resources, making your elgg network unsecured, and blacklisting our servers. For that reason in this article I will give a step by step guide on how to install another anti-spammer tool called Honeypot Spam Catcher for elgg 1.8
1. Honeypot Spam Catcher is a very brilliant way to stop automated spammers without adding server load. Download the Honeypot spam catcher here
2. Upload the plugin to the mod folder of your elgg installation. If you don’t know how to do that, read this article.
3. Log into elgg as an Admin. Open the Administration Dashboard and go to menu “Configure -> Plugins“:
4. Search for Honeypot Spam Catcher and activate such plugin. After activating the plugin you must run upgrade.php. For instructions on how to do that, read this article
5. You can set the plugin to send you the addresses of the spammers to your email account. Also you can change the background color of the registration page. Go to sidebar menu “Configure -> Settings -> Honeypot” to change those settings:
6. Now, honeypot will add a hidden not valid input that only bot spammers can see, and will try to submit. However since it is an invalid field, registration will fail. Your network will not be reachable by automated bot spammers:
7. And that’s it! Your elgg network is now more protected against spammers.
This concludes Honeypot: Another way to protect elgg against spammers