Elgg has a search feature that lets users find anything they need. However, for large elgg sites it could take time to get results. Instead of using that, in this article I will teach you how to use Google Search inside elgg 1.9
There's an ongoing debate or whether to replace the current search feature with something else or not. As of right now, a simple search on a big network, can slow down the performance of the site and use more server resources. Now imagine several users searching at once, it could cause stability issues. Google Search integration doesn't slow down your site and even gets better results.
1. Download and install the Google Search Plugin for elgg 1.9
2. Log into elgg as an Admin
3. Open the Admin Dashboard, and go to menu "Configure -> Plugins":
4. Search for "Google Site Search" and activate it:
5. Now, go to https://www.google.com/cse/create/new and create your a search engine for your site:
Note: You are going to need a google account to get it.
6. Once you create your custom search engine, get and copy the code of your new search engine:
7. Go back to your elgg Administration Dashboard. Go to menu "Configure -> Settings -> Google Site Search", paste the code from step 6 and save your changes:
8. And that's it! Google Search has been integrated with elgg 1.9:
This concludes Google Search for elgg 1.9