Elgg comes by default with a microblogging feature called “The Wire Plugin”. It allows you to post comments, ideas or news to your entire network, similar to what Twitter does. In previous articles I showed a tool that added new features to The Wire, however were still basic. In this article I will give you a step by step guide on how to add better features to the elgg microblogging tool.
The wire is pretty basic. It had some additions the last couple of years, such as “Likes” support, comments and the ability to send wire posts to Twitter. Nevertheless, to make it more powerful and interesting to your network users, follow these steps.
1. Download Wire Tools for elgg 1.8
2. Install the plugin in the mod folder of your elgg network. If you don’t know how to do that, read this article.
3. Sign into elgg as an Administrator and open the Administration dashboard. Go to menu “Configure -> Plugins” and activate the Wire Tools plugin:
- Add microblogging capabilities to groups
- Allow sharing wire post from the widget
- Enable notifications on user mention (Like Twitter)
- Change the character limit
- Autocomplete of friends and recent hash tags (Like Twitter)
Change the settings according to your needs and save the changes:
6. And that’s it! The Wire has been enhanced:
This Concludes Enhancing Elgg Microblogging Feature