Embedding links has always been a missing feature in Elgg. For a long time, users kept asking for a way to embed videos and URLs like Facebook does. In this article I will give you a step by step guide on how to integrate Embed.ly with elgg
What is Embed.ly? Embed.ly is a tool that help websites create a better user experience. It is a tool that is simple, easy to use, and perfectly suited to any task. One of the tools that Embed.ly offers is the ability to embed anything on your website without affecting server performance because it uses the external JS Embed.ly library . Elgg now benefits of this tool by allowing anyone to share and preview links to a video or website for free.
2. Sign into elgg with your administrator account to start the activation process. Open the Administration Dashboard and go to menu “Configure -> Plugins“:
3. Activate the “embedlycards 1.9.0” plugin:
4. After activating the plugin, the Embed.ly integration will be in effect, creating a preview of each link posted in “The Wire” or in the “Bookmarks” plugin.
5. Let’s test this integration. Go to the main activity page of your elgg network. Then go to header menu “More -> The Wire“:
6. Enter a URL and share it:
7. And that’s it! Any URL shared will have a nice preview:
This concludes Embed.ly integration for elgg