Letting users change the language of the site is a key feature that all network sites should have. In this article I will give you a step-by-step guide on how to easily add translations in Elgg.
Translating elgg can be confusing since you need to create a language file for the plugin that you want to display in another language and upload it into the appropriate language folder. Translation Editor is a tool that easily lets you add translation to any plugin, without hassles. It is the perfect plugin for any network administrator.
1. Download Translation Editor Plugin for Elgg
2. Upload and Install the plugin. If you do not know how to do that, please read this article.
3. Sign into elgg with your Administrator Account to get access to the Plugin/Settings Admin Area:
4. Go to menu “Configure -> Plugins“:
5. Look for the “Translation Editor” plugin and activate it:
6. After activating the plugin, go to menu “Configure -> Appearance -> Translation Editor“:
7. You will be taken to the main editor area, where you can select any language you want and add its appropriate translation:
8. For the purposes of this tutorial, I will select “SPANISH” and I will translate the “Suggested Friends” plugin into Spanish:
Note: It will automatically save each translation. No need to hit a “SAVE” button each time you add a new translation.
10. And that’s it! You can easily translate elgg now!
This concludes Easy Translations for Elgg