Joomla is a content management system used by developers who are mostly familiar with PHP. It is possible to configure email mechanism using Joomla. However, if you make use of Windows server then Joomla throws errors while attempting to deliver email. You can fix it by following the steps mentioned below
(1) Login to Site Administrator dashboard
(2) Select Global Configuration icon
(3) Select Server option from the top navigation panel
(4) Locate Mail Settings panel on the bottom right hand side of the page
(5) By default, PHP Mail mailer is used by Joomla
(6) You should modify the mailer to SMTP so that e-mail mechanism will work under Windows
(7) Provide SMTP username, password and host name. Normally, the host name will be mail.domainname where domainname is your real domain with prefix (.com/.net/.org)
(8) Make sure you have marked SMTP authentication option to Yes since all Windows servers requires you to authenticate emails.
You should contact the hosting provider if the email system doesn’t work after following the steps mentioned above.