A regular task you will need to do is upgrading your ocPortal website to the latest version of the software. It’s important to use the latest version of software as upgrades fix bugs and improve how some features work. The upgrade process in ocPortal is fairly straight forward and the step by step process is listed below.
The first task you will need to do is make sure you conduct a backup of your site and database in-case there is any issues. Once you have created your back up follow this process:
- Find the upgrade link for your version of ocPortal; to find this you will need to go to http://ocPortal.com.
- Click on the newest release link for your version of ocPortal. Currently there are two versions being supported – version 8 onwards and version 9 onwards, and you need to make sure you select the right version for your installation of ocPortal. Most new installations will be on Version 9. Version 8 is still being supported as version 9 was a large departure for the theme of ocPortal and upgrading from Version 8 to version 9 can break a lot of compatibility.
- Fill in your current version and click generate. This will give you a URL link like this “http://ocportal.com/upgrades/9.0.6-9.0.7.tar”.
- Copy this URL into notepad as you will need it soon.
- Navigate to your upgrade page which will be the base URL of your site with upgrader.php after it e.g. http://yourwebsite.com/upgrader.php
- Log in with your site password.
If this is your first upgrade I highly recommend reading this upgrading ocPortal document too
7. Close your site via the button with a message to say it will be back soon and is just closed for maintenance or something else suitable.
- 8. Click the transfer across your files button.
- 9. Paste the URL you copied to notepad earlier in to the space provided and click proceed Once this is complete click proceed
- 10. If this is a large update click the file integrity scan and remove any un-needed files. For minor updates you can skip this step.
If you are upgrading from one version to another i.e. version 9.0.X to 9.1 you will also need to upgrade your database which is option 5.
11. Option 6 is a themes upgrader to help you upgrade your themes from one version to another where there have been changes between your original version and the newly upgraded version.
12. Once you have done all of this, make sure you clear the caches to remove any cached old files.
- Now everything is complete you will need to take a look around your site to make sure there are no errors displaying which may have been caused through the upgrade. If you do find any bugs please report them on the ocPortal forums as soon as possible with as much detail as possible. The ocPortal team are one of the best and quickest at responding to bugs within the software and any bugs are usually fixed far faster than most other software of similar complexity, at least in my experience anyway.
When you have checked through and everything is ok re-open your website.