There are many ways to block IP addresses, but some require to do a lot of changes and have some coding knowledge. In this article I will give you a step by step guide on how to easily block malicious IP addresses in elgg 1.8
Spammers are creating multiple accounts and create up to 30 spam blog post in an hour, or create useless groups filled with spam. Each time a spammer creates garbage content, it wastes useful server resources. It is extremely important that you protect your elgg network with any tool available.
1. Download and install HTTP Blacklist for elgg
2. Sign into elgg as an Administration, and access the Administration Dashboard. Then go to menu “Configure -> Plugins”. Activate the HTTP Blacklist plugin:
3. After activating the plugin, you need to get a Project HoneyPot API Key.
Go to this address: http://www.projecthoneypot.org/
Get an http:BL Access key:
4. Go back to the Elgg Administration Dashboard, and go to menu “Configure -> Settings -> HTTP:Blacklist“. Enter the API key from step 3 and save your changes:
5. You don’t have to something else. The plugin will automatically block all malicious IP Addresses.
6. And that’s it! Your elgg network is going to be protected against spammers!
This concludes Block Malicious IP Addresses in elgg