Elgg has a categories feature out of the box. It is very simple and it does not provide a user interface to browse the categories created within the site. In this article I will give you a step by step guide on how to improve categories in elgg
1. Download and install hypeCategories for elgg 1.8here.
2. Log into your elgg network as an Administrator and activate HypeCategories:
3. Go to menu “Configure -> Settings -> HypeCategories“:
4. Select the types of content items that categories should be applied to. Select as many as you want. You can also apply group categories and show a category menu in all pages. Then save your changes:
5. Now, go to menu “Configure -> Site Wide Categories” to set the categories that users can set to content:
6. You can set as many categories as you want. The add category user interface is more friendly. To add a category just click on the ‘plus’ icon. To remove on, click on the ‘minus’ icon. After you are done adding categories, save your changes:
7. And that’s it! You will see a categories menu that users can easily browse and find!
This concludes better categories for elgg