Avatars are the profile pictures that you can use within elgg. However there come times when users want to upload an avatar straight from their webcam. In this article I will show you how to improve avatars in elgg.
Uploading a profile picture is a normal process in elgg. Select a picture, upload it and change avatar size. Uploading pictures was not supported until last month, and it is a neat feature that will be appreciated by your users.
1. Download Webcam plugin for elgg 1.8
2. Upload and install the plugin in the mod folder of your elgg installation.
3. Sign into elgg as an Administrator. Go to the Administration Dashboard, and then go to menu “Configure -> Plugins” to activate the plugin uploaded:
4. Now, go to menu “Configure -> Settings -> Webcam” and select how you want to control the webcam, which can be via HTML5 or with Flash:
5. And that’s it! Your users will be able to take a profile picture straight from the webcam!
Note: If the user doesn’t have a webcam, the option for uploading a picture from the computer will be still available.
This concludes better avatar uploads