Branding a site can include a wide range of initiatives. Some can take a large amount of time and energy (graphic designs, target marketing, etc.) while others can take just a few minutes. Today, I am going to show you a way to add branding to your site without paying a dime and take less than 15 minutes. You don’t need to pay anyone and can do this completely online for free. The only requirement is that you have a company image. When you get this then follow the steps below.
Go to a site that will allow you to upload your image and tweak the image like
Once you get the file then download it and make sure that it is named favicon.ico and place it in the root directory of your site.
Then at the top of your page right under your <head> tag enter this.
<link rel="shortcut icon" href="/favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon"> <link rel="icon" href="/favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon">
Some general thoughts of using an .ico over .png or other image types
- All Browsers including IE 6+ can use .ico formats.
- All Browsers will request a favicon.ico without specifying it directly.
- You can actually hold multiple sizes in an .ico file for different types of devices.
- Since icons can be made in different with different backgrounds you might want to use transparency. It looks better than having a black box around the image.
- Use icons no bigger than 32×32. Anything larger than that will cause the site to load slower.
So go ahead and add a favicon to your site.
Looking for quality web hosting? Look no further than Arvixe Web Hosting!